zed - A simple, vim-like text editor

Started by zip, Jan 08, 2023, 06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zip

Hello! I've made a simple text editor called Zed. It's mainly inspired by vim and as such is completely keyboard-operated. It is relatively easy to add syntax highlighting for new languages to it, and should be fairly easy to use if you've ever used vim before.

It uses a simple lisp-like scripting language for commands (instead of something like vimscript, which is honestly a mess). Currently scripting is rather limited (you can't even run external scripts from inside the editor yet) since it doesn't have many functions and is mainly just used as a way to move around the application. I've written a small help page for now and I plan to expand it later, but it should be enough to generally be able to use zed.

Features
  • Full editing of files, including automatic entabment and navigating with arrow keys.
  • The beginnings of a lisp interpreter.
  • Syntax highlighting
  • Relatively simple syntax for adding new syntax highlighting and custom themes. (using the aforementioned lisp interpreter)
  • Multiple tabs

Planned
  • Copy-pasting (probably akin to vim, with a visual mode and having yank and put)
  • Fleshing out the lisp interpreter to make it actually possible to do anything substantial with it
  • Better documentation
  • Probably more that I can't think of right now

If you have any feedback on this editor or any ideas, I'd be willing to hear them. I haven't really looked at any of the other text editors for computercraft except the pre-installed edit, so this one is probably horrible in comparison.

"Image Gallery"

Installation instructions
The easiest way to install is to run
pastebin run UHghFPR8 which will run an installer for zed. Alternatively, you could clone the github repository if you want.

SquidDev

Oh, this is really cool - really impressive!

I find it mildly amusing that you decided to implement a Lisp for this, given Emacs is notable for its Lisp capabilities, rather than Vim.
GitHub | CC:Tweaked: A ComputerCraft fork | Plethora: A peripheral mod

zip

Quote from: SquidDev on Jan 14, 2023, 08:57 AMOh, this is really cool - really impressive!

I find it mildly amusing that you decided to implement a Lisp for this, given Emacs is notable for its Lisp capabilities, rather than Vim.
I chose lisp because its syntax is just extremely easy to write a single-pass parser for, which makes it relatively fast. It honestly feels a little cursed to use a lispy language in a vim-like environment but hey, it works.